Safety eyes are plastic eyes that have a ridged stem and a washer that fits securely on the back, making them easy to attach and very difficult to remove. We use them, along with a felt nose to finish most of our memory bears.
Here's how to attach your safety eyes quickly and easily.
1. Gather your supplies: two pairs of safety eyes, pen, your pointiest little scissors, two small bits of felt (optional).
2. Use your pen to mark where on your memory bear's face you would like your eyes to be.
3. Use your pointy little scissors to snip a small hole through the fabric at your mark.
4. Insert the safety eye through your hole, making sure the eye is on the right side of the fabric and the stem is poking through to the wrong side of the fabric.
5. Slide the washer onto the stem of the safety eye, making sure the wider, flatter side butts up against the back of the eye. Push it down until it snaps on and there is no space between the fabric and the washer. If your fabric very thin or frays easily, you can add an optional bit of felt between the washer and the fabric to provide stability. Repeat for the second eye.
6. You're done! Marvel at how adorable your memory bear looks now!